Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Golden Bars

I recently read somewhere that if you cut a small portion of the sugar out of a standard recipe, and gradually kept cutting a bit out, then over time you would be consuming less sugar, and you wouldn't notice the difference. I have been thinking about this for a while (and not really trying it as, ya know, I like sugar! Especially brown sugar!) but as I was getting ready to make these mouthwatering and delicious "Golden Bars", I decided to give the sugar cut a try!


I have listed the recipe as it was written and in (parentheses) I showed how much I used to make this less sugar, less fat version.  I cut about 25% of the sugar and fat out of the recipe.  Try it and let me know what you think!

Golden Bars

2/3 Cup shortening, butter, or oil (1/2)
2 C Brown Sugar (1 1/2)
2 Beaten Eggs
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 C Flour
2 tsp Baking Power

Melt the shortening or butter on low in a sauce pan.  Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients, pour into greased 8" x 8" glass pan.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Cool, cut into 2" ish squares, enjoy!

 After baking this recipe with reduced fat and sugar, I really did not notice any difference in taste, texture, or the overall outcome of the cookie bars.  I have been making this recipe since I was in high school, and my mom made them before that, so I figgure I am a pretty good judge of their appearance :-) .  I didn't even tell my family that I did it, and no one noticed!


I would love for you to give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment